Weatherization Assistance

Free help if you qualify

You may be eligible for free help weatherizing your home!

  • Ceiling, wall and floor insulation
  • Energy-related minor home repairs
  • Air-infiltration reduction
  • Furnace repair or replacement
  • Heating duct improvements
  • Energy conservation education
  • Refrigerator replacement

You may qualify if you meet the income guidelines below. To apply, call the Community Action Agency listed for the county where you live. Sometimes there is a waiting list, so you’ll want to call as soon as possible.

The agency you contact will send an employee or contractor to perform the audit and weatherization work. Agency staff and contractors are taking extra precautions to slow the spread of COVID-19 and are following Oregon’s health guidance, including physical distancing, wearing gloves and face coverings, and disinfecting tools frequently. 

Ask the agency for the name of the contractor, so you can confirm the contractor’s identity when they arrive. Remember, the work is provided at no cost to eligible participants. Renters may also receive assistance, but your landlord must agree to have the work done.

For more information on how the program works, visit the Oregon Housing and Community Services website.

Income guidelines (As of July 1, 2020)

Size of family unit Annual gross income Monthly gross income
1 $25,520 $2,126.66
2 $34,480 $2,873.33
3 $43,440 $3,620.00
4 $52,400 $4,366.66
5 $61,360 $5,113.33
6 $70,320 $5,860.00
7 $79,280 $6,606.66
8 $88,240 $7,353.33
9 $97,200 $8,100.00
10 $106,160 $8,846.66
11 $115,120 $9,593.33
12 $124,080 $10,340.00
Each additional member $8,960 $746.66

If you earn too much to qualify for weatherization assistance, you may be able to participate in the Savings Within Reach program from Energy Trust of Oregon.

This program offers special incentives to help moderate-income homeowners make energy efficiency improvements.

How to apply for assistance

Call the Community Action agency below for your county.

County Organization Phone Number
Clackamas Clackamas County Weatherization
Marion / Polk Mid-Willamette Valley Community Action Agency
Multnomah Multnomah County Weatherization
Washington Washington County Community Action Org
Yamhill Yamhill Community Action Partnership 503-687-1483

Where do the dollars come from

Funding comes from several sources, including federal programs and a portion of the 3 percent Public Purpose Charge that all PGE customers pay on their electric bills.

Live in Portland? Live in Portland?

Community Energy Project offers do-it-yourself weatherization workshops for Portlanders who meet income guidelines, plus in-home weatherization for low-income senior and/or disabled residents.

Control your bill Control your bill

Explore our Energy Savings section to learn how you can use less energy, including no-cost and low-cost changes you can make yourself.

Give us a call Give us a call

If you are struggling to pay your bill, call PGE Customer Service at 800-542-8818 to discuss options related to your account.